kids in withered forest

As often happens, divorced parents will marry another person that has children.  When this happens, both spouses and their children are considered part of the same home environment for determining child custody and visitation issues.  In other words, if you marry again after your divorce, your new spouse's actions, and the actions of his or her children, will be considered relevant for purposes of determining the "best interests" of your children for custody and visitation purposes.  So if your ex-spouse takes you back to court to try to modify custody or visitation, be prepared for your new spouse and his/her children to be under the microscope.

In this case from the Arkansas Court of Appeals last week, the court upheld the decision of the trial judge that modified a parent's visitation based on his stepsons behavior.

Watch Our New Video Series

Coffee with Counsel

Things are about to get better. Call us.

(479) 434-2414 Fort Smith • (479) 802-6560 NWA

Get Updates & More Stories Like Yours

Sign Up

In the River Valley:
502 Garrison Avenue
Fort Smith, AR 72901
Phone: (479) 434-2414
Fax: (479) 434-2415

Law Pay

In Northwest Arkansas:
1750 S. Osage Springs Drive, Suite 210
Rogers, AR 72758
Phone: (479) 802-6560
Fax: (479) 802-6561

Mon - Fri 8:30 - 5:00

(Closed 12:00pm - 1:00pm)