money in pocket

Husband makes $50k one year and then $150k the next. Now the parties are divorcing and the court needs to decide child support and alimony amounts. Husband obviously says $50k is the right income - Wife says $150k is correct. What should the court do?

Courts often turn to experts for help. Averaging the person's income over a period of time (say 2 years) is also used. Arkansas law provides that the court cannot "cherry pick" a successful time period for purposes of calculating support (85 Ark. App. 419). This implies that the court cannot choose a particularly unsuccessful time period either.

The following case, which upheld the trial court's calculation, holds that the most current information is usually the best evidence - but accuracy in making the final determination is equally important so older information may also be needed.

Watch Our New Video Series

Coffee with Counsel

Things are about to get better. Call us.

(479) 434-2414 Fort Smith • (479) 802-6560 NWA

Get Updates & More Stories Like Yours

Sign Up

In the River Valley:
502 Garrison Avenue
Fort Smith, AR 72901
Phone: (479) 434-2414
Fax: (479) 434-2415

Facebook Twitter Google Mail LinkedIn Yelp YouTube Instagram

Law Pay

In Northwest Arkansas:
1750 S. Osage Springs Drive, Suite 210
Rogers, AR 72758
Phone: (479) 802-6560
Fax: (479) 802-6561

Facebook Twitter Google Mail LinkedIn Yelp YouTube Instagram

Mon - Fri 8:30 - 5:00

(Closed 12:00pm - 1:00pm)