Whether you are the one asking for the divorce or not, the question of how to choose the right divorce attorney always comes up. It can be overwhelming making this decision as you have many other decisions to make in this new territory. Choosing the right attorney is perhaps one of the most important decisions you will make during this entire process. You are going to depend on your attorney to guide and direct you in many, many decisions that will have lifelong effects. He or she will be advising you on topics such as child custody, child support, spousal support, division of assets, and the list goes on and on. Additionally, your lawyer is the one that gets you through the court system. You need someone that specializes in this arena with experience, expertise and a proven track record.
Before I begin discussing how to choose the right attorney, I want to address a couple of questions that we commonly hear when people are beginning the divorce process:
- Is divorce the right answer? While we can give you advice on the timing and impacts of decisions made pertaining to a divorce, we are not able to answer that question. A divorce is a personal decision and largely up to you.
- Do I need to tell my spouse I am filing for divorce? The short answer is no, but, again, this is a personal decision you need to make. If you and your soon-to-be ex are amicable and you want to keep it that way, then it is probably best to discuss prior to him or her being served divorce papers. If your soon-to-be ex is abusive, then it is often advisable to not let him or her know what you are planning. The actual filing of the divorce is taken care of by our firm, not you.
Let’s move on to our quick guide of how to choose a divorce lawyer that is right for you.
- Decide what kind of legal services you need from an attorney. Everyone going through a divorce typically needs some sort of legal advice, but some need more counsel than others. For example, if you have a lot of assets, a complicated financial situation, etcetera then you will want to choose an attorney who understands finances and is equipped to handle such a divorce. If you have very few assets, no kids and there is not much to discern regarding division of property, then you will need an honest attorney that is going to take care of making sure all the paperwork is correct and filed properly. The Kevin Hickey team has experience with all types of divorce from the very simple to the very complicated.
- Find a lawyer who is experienced in family law. This is no time to hire a friend’s husband’s, brother’s cousin who specializes in criminal law. You need a lawyer that specializes and regularly works in divorce.
- Just as with any other major decision, it is always a good idea to interview two or three attorneys to see which one you feel comfortable with and which one is going to have your put interest first. Of course, we are certain you will be happy with our firm, but this is a big decision and we want you to be completely satisfied when choosing us.
As mentioned earlier, the entire process is overwhelming and exhausting, but it is important you do your due diligence when selecting the right attorney. Resist the temptation to just settle for an attorney, because you are tired of telling your story or you just want it over with. Or worse, resist the temptation to just not hire an attorney and you both use the same attorney. We’re not saying this never works, but the odds are not in your favor. Many clients end up hiring their own attorneys, because things don’t normally stay as amicable as they were in the beginning. Save yourself the time and money and hire your own attorney from the beginning.
The Kevin Hickey Law Partner team is made up of people who are dedicated to your legal care. We are not only experienced, but we care and have your best interest in mind. Our clients are our main priority from the very first consultation all the way to the end. Call us today, we will be glad to talk to you about your divorce.